2.6.15 on HP ZV6100 ( similar to compaq R4000)

[I am not subscribed to this list, so please reply to my own address]
... beside this it is also not strictly pertinent to amd64 port since the
problem is on the 32bit klernel, on a athlon64 PC. i post here since i
ham trying since a couple of week and any suggestion was different and
unsuccessful, and the same model is often used for 64bit development]
I have a HP ZV6100 . I have installed debian serge, then updated to etch.
but either with 2.6.8 or 2.6.15, k7 or 486 i am unable to activate dma and
in turn the computer freeze almost completely during disk access
(expecailly if i download large files from a fast lan server).
The hardware is fine since if i use a 2.6.12 from ububntu the dma is
correctly activated and i can also activcate/deactivate it with hdparm.
Any hint ? possible kernel personalization to get it to work ?
[I am not subscribed to this list, so please reply to my own address]

Leonardo Boselli, unhappy user of a HP ZV6100 .....