Re: How do I enable frequency scaling?

On Thursday 23 February 2006 23:37, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do I enable frequency scaling on my AMD opteron, using Gnome?
>
> I installed acpid and cpufreqd. But cpufreqd will not start saying
> "Cpufreqd won't be started, please enable a CpuFreq driver in your
> kernel". How do I do that?
>

> TIA
>
> Joost
I use the package 'powernowd', I use it from the comand line, some gnome
app may interface with it . Two other packages:

'cpufrequtils - utilities to deal with the cpufreq Linux kernel feature

This package contains two utilities for inspecting and setting the cpu
frequency through both the sysfs and
procfs CPUFreq kernel interfaces.'

"libcpufreq0 "- shared library to deal with the cpufreq Linux kernel
feature.
This library provide an unified method to access the CPUFreq kernel
interface.'

"powernowd - control cpu speed and voltage using 2.6 kernel interface

This simple client controls CPU speed and voltage using the sysfs
interface to the CPUFreq driver in v2.6 Linux
kernels.  It does not depend on APM or ACPI, and it doesn't try to do
anything other than control the CPU.

The name is somewhat misleading, as any CPUfreq capable processor will
work, not just those from AMD.  However,
it works better on CPUs that support more than two speed steps, like those
with AMD's PowerNow! or Intel's
Pentium M series.

This daemon is less complicated than cpufreqd or cpudyn, at the cost of
absolutely depending on a 2.6 kernel
with the userspace governor and sysfs support enabled."

Use the commands cpufreq-set or cpufreq-info to set or check status. There
are man pages for each.
--
Greg Madden