Re: Problems with Superkaramba

This one time, at band camp, mtms said:
> On 21 Feb 2006, 17:00, Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > > Talking about python 2.3... on my AMD64 (Debian etch) machine I'm no
> > > more able to run applications like ipodder and straw :(
> > >
> > > # ipodder
> > > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > >   File "/usr/share/ipodder/iPodderGui.py", line 25, in ?
> > >     import wx
> > >   File
> > > "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode/wx/__init__.py",
> > > line 42, in ?
> > >     from wx._core import *
> > >   File
> > > "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py",
> > > line 4, in ?
> > >     import _core_
> > > ImportError: /usr/lib/libXft.so.2: undefined symbol:
> > > FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden
> > >

> > > Same on my 32bit Debian etch box, so it seems related to the testing branch
> > > and not to AMD64 port only.
> > >
> > > Any hint?
> >
> > upgrade.  This was a bug recently fixed.
>
> Upgrade what? :) You mean upgrade to Sid branch or which package? Btw,
> my etch (testing) installation(s) are upgraded daily...
>
> p.s. anyway, I understand this is just a temporary problem.

Sorry - I see now that was less clear than I meant it to be.  I have
been seeing messages about it for a few days, so it was all clear to me
:P

The problem is that freetype and libxft2 have had some breakage.  This
has been fixed in unstable, and just yesterday the new versions were
pushed into testing to fix it there as well.  So, upgrading libxft2 and
freetype should fix the problem for you.

There is still work to be done to fix it the right way for the future,
but the symptoms should go away for now.