Re: Nvidia driver bypasses xorg.conf settings

On Thursday 16 Feb 2006 19:13, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 11:08:16AM -0800, Land Haj wrote:
> > The monitor instructions says to use 60 Hz instead of 75Hz at the highest
> > resolution (1280x1024), and it is noticeably more comfortable for the
> > eyes. And yes, it is a LCD screen, and yes, I guess it's not the most
> > expensive screen around. But it's new and I am very happy with it at
> > 60Hz.
> The nvidia driver has a tendancy to take the DDC data as above all.  The
> README file for the nvidia driver in /usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx/ should
> say how you can force it to ignore DDC data.

If 60Hz is the preferred rate, then why is the monitor telling the computer
that it should run at 75Hz?  Surely *that* is the question.  {Of course, it
could all just be due to a badly-shielded cable .....  that wouldn't really
be your fault if it were hard-wired at the monitor end, though.}

> > a) Everything worked fine before (i e I used nvidia drivers and had 60Hz)
> > b) Swithing from nvidia drivers to the nv driver gives me 60 Hz.

I've never had any trouble with the open source nv drivers.

Does anyone know if there is a project going on to improve the state of open
source drivers for graphics cards?  Because I would really like to offer some
support to this effort.

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk