Re: Nvidia driver bypasses xorg.conf settings

Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
Just how exactly can 60hz ever be nicer on the eyes? Well unless it is
an LCD in which case it doesn't matter. The lower the refresh the more
flickering you get. That is why the highest possible refresh is always
picked. You can enter your maximum for your monitor as 60-60 if you
want or something like that to limit it if you actually think that is an
improvement. Some crappy monitors do have problems handling higher
frequencies but the problem is not that the refresh rate is higher, the
problem is crappy electronics in the monitor not able to handle the
better signal.

Len Sorensen

The monitor instructions says to use 60 Hz instead of 75Hz at the highest resolution (1280x1024), and it is noticeably more comfortable for the eyes. And yes, it is a LCD screen, and yes, I guess it's not the most expensive screen around. But it's new and I am very happy with it at 60Hz.

I had the nvidia drivers working just fine with the older kernel, with 60 Hz specified in xorg.conf. Changing the xorg.conf entry from '60' to '60-60' doesn't help when I try it. Switching back to the older kernel doesn't help either. I don't think there's a problem with anything but the nvidia driver, since:

a) Everything worked fine before (i e I used nvidia drivers and had 60Hz)
b) Swithing from nvidia drivers to the nv driver gives me 60 Hz.

I don't think I misconfigured xorg.conf, since I had it working with the older kernel + nvidia and didn't change anything in it.

/landhaj