Re: Nvidia driver bypasses xorg.conf settings

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 11:08:16AM -0800, Land Haj wrote:
> The monitor instructions says to use 60 Hz instead of 75Hz at the highest resolution (1280x1024), and it is noticeably more comfortable for the eyes. And yes, it is a LCD screen, and yes, I guess it's not the most expensive screen around. But it's new and I am very happy with it at 60Hz.

Well for LCD it does make sense yes.  They don't flicker in the first
place at any speed.

> I had the nvidia drivers working just fine with the older kernel, with 60 Hz specified in xorg.conf. Changing the xorg.conf entry from '60' to '60-60' doesn't help when I try it. Switching back to the older kernel doesn't help either. I don't think there's a problem with anything but the nvidia driver, since:

The nvidia driver has a tendancy to take the DDC data as above all.  The
README file for the nvidia driver in /usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx/ should
say how you can force it to ignore DDC data.

> a) Everything worked fine before (i e I used nvidia drivers and had 60Hz)
> b) Swithing from nvidia drivers to the nv driver gives me 60 Hz.
>
> I don't think I misconfigured xorg.conf, since I had it working with the older kernel + nvidia and didn't change anything in it.

Probably upgraded nvidia driver changed things.