Re: [Little OT] Sata drive hot plug?

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 08:32:19AM -0800, michael wrote:
> I have a amd64 sarge box with kernel 2.6.15 running with a silicon 3132 sata
> controller. Siliconimage says this controller supports hot plug.
> Does this mean that I can just slap in my drive, plug a sata cable into it
> and plug the power cable into it and away I go? (Does the plug-in order
> matter?)

Well as far as the hardware is concerned, yes.  The linux drivers need
to have hotplug support too, which I am not sure if libata is done
implementing yet.

> Its just a normal 450 W Antec Power supply. Does the powersupply need special
> requirements too for hot plug?

No that is all handled by the design of the connectors.  Well at least
if you use SATA power connectors on the drive end.  If you use the old
power connects at the drive itself, I wouldn't recommend hotplugging it.

> The motherboard also has the 955x chipset with an ich7 controller.
> Is this hot plug capable as well?

Not a clue, but again, driver has to support it too.

> Thanks for the advice before I go and blow up my computer.  :)

You should check the status of libata to see how hotplug is going.