Re: Kernel Names (was Kernel 2.6.15-4 freeze)

Ach so! Thank you very much for clearing up this little item that was
bothering me. I did experience loss of the ndiswrapper - Broadcom XP
wireless driver when I went from the generic 2.6.12 kernel to the 2.6.14
kernel specific to the amd64-k8. Then the kernel moved to the 2.6.15
series and I was in the 2.6.15-1 version -3 before I got the wireless
working again. I _did_ have to recompile the ndiswrapper which had gone
from version 1.7 to 1.8 in the meantime and apparently is only available
as source in the Debian distribution. Then I noticed, after the update
to version -4 of the kernel, I did _not_ have to recompile ndiswrapper.
The wireless just kept working! Great!

Thanks again. fgd.

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:31:37PM -0900, Fielder George Dowding wrote:

>>I have noticed an unusual naming situation with the Debian 2.6.15-x
>>series of kernel updates on my HP Pavilion zv6000 series (amd64 3200+)
>>laptop.
>>
>>The usual situation I have come to expect with installing a kernel
>>update under Debian using grub is to have the kernel name, shown as the
>>installed version in the dselect listing,
>>  eg.: linux-image-2.6.15-1,
>>be reflected in the boot menu (from /boot/grub/menu.lst),
>>  eg.: Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.15-1-amd64-k8
>>
>>However, I note, since the kernel update to the Debian -2, the listing
>>in the grub menu has not changed. I now (suposedly) have the 2.6.15-4
>>version of the Debian linux-image installed according to the dselect
>>listing, but there is no other indication that the -4 update is
>>installed. Here are examples of the strings I get identifying the
>>installed and running kernel:
>>
>>$ uname -a
>>Linux caleb 2.6.15-1-amd64-k8 #2 Sat Feb 4 00:09:56 UTC 2006\
>> x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>>(title of default kernel in grub's menu.lst)
>>Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.15-1-amd64-k8
>>
>>(there are three lines in dselect that refer to the currently installed
>>kernel. The first is the update depends pseudo/meta package:)
>>linux-image-2.6-amd64-k8 - Linux kernel 2.6 image on AMD64 K8 machines
>>(with the comment:)
>>This package depends on the latest binary image for Linux kernel 2.6 on
>>64bit AMD Athlon64, AthlonFX, Opteron1xx and Turion64 machines.
>>(under the Inst.ver and Avail.ver columns, it shows:)
>>2.6.15-4
>>(the next line in the listing is apparently the real kernel image. It
>>show the following:)
>>linux-image-s.2.15-1-amd64-k8 - Linux kernel 2.6.15 image\
>> on AMD64 K8 machines
>>(under the Inst.ver and Avail.ver columns, it shows:)
>>2.6.15-4
>>(finally, the third line shows:)
>>linux-image-amd64-k8 - Linux kernel image on AMD64 K8 machines
>>(under the Inst.ver and Avail.ver columns, it shows:)
>>2.6.15-4
>>
>>I am just wondering why the current Debian version is not reflected in
>>all the listings. Is this a problem? Should I be conserned? Should I
>>change something in my setup? Should I just ingore this and unimportant
>>and let the dd's get on with the important things in Debian?
>>
>>With a sincere desire to learn, fgd.
>

> Grub lists the same info as the package name, which is the kernel
> version and ABI version.  There are usually multiple debian package
> versions for a given ABI version.
>
> ie:
>
> vmlinuz-2.6.14-1-k7 is a 2.6.14 kernel with ABI 1 for a k7 cpu.
>
> The version of this kernel in dpkg right now is:
> ii  linux-image-2.6.14-1-k7           2.6.14-2
>
> So it is the second release of the 2.6.14-1 kernel.
>
> Another one I have had was:
> [...]

- --
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .^.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "etch" Testing
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service.      /( )\  User Number 269482
                                            ^^-^^  "irad" 301256