Re: initrd race conditions

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 02:26:54PM +0000, Steven Haslam wrote:
> Mike Crowe wrote:
> >2. Almost random ordering of ethernet devices between boots. The

> You can fix the names of network interfaces using udev-- istr that's
> available in sarge, even though a kernel that supports it isn't (fun).
>
> e.g. I have:
>
> bash$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/010_local.rules
> # Local rules
>
> # eth0: dl2k (gigabit adaptor)
> SUBSYSTEM="net", SYSFS{address} = "00:05:5d:9a:a3:a8", NAME="eth0"

Another option is to use ifrename. Then you just create an /etc/iftab
which lists the MAC addresses and desired names.  I'm using it on my laptop,
where the wired and wifi interfaces come up in random order.

This problem isn't particular to dual-processor machines at all; the
modules do load in parallel or random order.

> # ethX: e100 (onboard)
> SUBSYSTEM="net", SYSFS{address} = "00:02:a5:cf:bb:d4", NAME="ethX"
>
> This renames my onboard ethernet adaptor to ethX to keep it out of the
> way because the BIOS doesn't permit disabling it (grumble).

You could blacklist the module, if it's the only e100 you have.
I blacklisted the eth1394 module here since I don't want ethernet over
firewire.

Hamish