Re: initrd race conditions

Mike Crowe wrote:

>I'm running the backports.org 2.6.15 kernel on an otherwise sarge
>amd64 box with a couple of Opteron 275s.
>
>It seems that modules are being loaded by the initrd at startup in
>parallel. This seems to lead to serious race conditions with the
>following symptoms:

BTW you can also add modules explicitly to /etc/mkinitramfs/modules and
they will be individually (and presumably sequentially, assuming
modprobe only exist when the module has finished probing) loaded before
udev is started. That may be the easiest option of all for sorting out
your drive hardware ordering. I'm fairly sure it's udev that is setting
off module loads in the background.

SRH