Re: Jumbo Frames?

On 1/30/06, Andrew Sharp <andy@netfall.com> wrote:
> C -> A will end up at 1500 since C can only do 1500, obviously.  B -> A,
> your switch is choking, is my *guess*.
>
> I suspect your switch it not working as well as you think it is,
> unfortunately.  Is it firmware upgradeable?  If so, check for updates.
> Also check the Dell forums.  I have a unmanaged Dell switch, it exhibits
> the same behavior.  Unfortunately, not upgradeable in my case ~:^(

I sure hope not! It's a Dell PowerEdge 5324, and it touts all sorts of goodies.

> You should get better than 50MB/s however.  What are the NICs?  Using a
> hacked version of netcat, to eliminate disk I/O from the picture, I see
> steady 90ish MB/s.  Between two 64/66 Intel NICs across my Dell switch.
> Between any other NIC hardware combos, I see 70-80 MB/s max.  Actually,
> the only other hardware I have that isn't 32bit is a Broadcom 57XX, also
> 64/66.

All the servers are identical config:
* Dual-core Opteron 175
* 2x1 gig DDR3200 ECC
* Seagate 250G SATA
* Serverworks HT1000 chipset on a Supermicro H8SSL-i motherboard
(specs: http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron/HT1000/H8SSL-i.cfm)
* appears to be Dual-port Broadcom BCM5704C Gigabit LAN / Ethernet Controller

Are there any sort of sysctls or echo foo >/proc/somesettings that
might help get more benefit out of jumbo frames? No magtter what I
would expect it to at least be the same speed. Not 10x worse.