Re: Chipset Fujitsu Scaleo Pa A64 35+ PCs

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Benno Overeinder wrote:

Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
I am currently running etch and checked the current 2.6 kernel,
but I find 2.6.12-10 (on my current PC kernel 2.4.27-2, the hardware does not go well with the new 2.6 kernel...!?).

I just checked the install CDs and they listed 2.6.15-1 as the install kernel, which is the relevant bit.

Probably I am checking the wrong locations, namely at http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/. The amd64 etch beta 1 release and amd64 daily built on that page still use the 2.6.12-10_amd64 kernel.

Oh? I thought that this listing in the udeb list would mean 2.6.15:
kernel-image-2.6.15-1-amd64-generic-di 1.5 amd64

I only checked the daily builds though.

Indeed strange. Maybe the range of different models in the Scaleo P range is too large to put all the different configuration in a table. At my work, the Esprimo P5600 is (internally) booked for about Euro 850, while the list price of the Scaleo Pa A64 35+ is about Euro 815 (what I have found on the Internet). The specs are not that different, the Scaleo Pa has a bigger disk and a ATI X700 SE graphics card.

Well, since noise is a big issue for me, I'd be sceptical about getting one without specs in that regard. But anyway, I think the real reason is that business customers are more likely to need custom OS installs and home customers will just run the bundled windows, or at least that's the expectation from the company selling the computers.

/Mattias Wadenstein