Re: Chipset Fujitsu Scaleo Pa A64 35+ PCs

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Benno Overeinder wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
Or you could probably have gotten away with an ubuntu dapper flight-2 or later iso. I did for my esprimo when testing, even if I run a kernel.org kernel now, netboot means not having to worry about whatever distributions ship. Current etch seems also to be at 2.6.15.

I found DapperFlight3 on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperFlight3 (ISO images). As I understand, the linux kernel on these ISO images do contain a patch necessary to recognise the SiS761 chipset SATA driver? Regarding the netboot (please excuse my ignorance), I have to set up a tftp server and configure PXE netbooting?

Well, the patch was included in 2.6.15, so anything new enough to be based on 2.6.15 should be good enough.

I am currently running etch and checked the current 2.6 kernel,
but I find 2.6.12-10 (on my current PC kernel 2.4.27-2, the hardware does not go well with the new 2.6 kernel...!?).

I just checked the install CDs and they listed 2.6.15-1 as the install kernel, which is the relevant bit.

Have you checked the data sheet from fujitsu? At least for the esprimo (which is the machine I care about) they do list chipset in the documentaiton.

I have checked the Dutch and German (and I think the French) website of Fujitsu Siemens, but apart of giving information about processor type, memory and disk size, number of USB and Firewire plugs, and graphics card, they do not give any information on the used chipset (or motherboard details). Did you find the chipset information online or in the printed documentation accompanying the computer?

Online, the datasheet linked from here:
http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/sme/products/deskbound/personal_computers/esprimo_p_series.html

Apparenly they don't seem to care as much about this for "home use" pcs. They don't seem to list noise figures either. Is the Scaleo P much cheaper than an Esprimo P to motivate such lack of documentation?

/Mattias Wadenstein