Re: How do I know if...

On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 09:21:48PM +0100, Robert Cates wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have not yet successfully installed an AMD64 port (tried several
> times, but keep getting a kernel panic for some reason), but when I do,
> I'd like to know and be sure that I'm using 64-bit mode, and not 32-bit
> mode.  How can I check this to make sure I'm running the AMD64 port
> installation in 64-bit mode?

 This might not help during the install, but  file /bin/ls  will tell you
whether it's a 64bit or 32bit executable.  ldd /bin/ls  will print 64bit
memory addresses.  During the install, cat /proc/self/maps will show 32 or
64bit memory addresses, and that should depend on whether cat is 64 or
32bit, not just the kernel.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@cor , des.ca)