Re: boot failure: default kernel without ELF support

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:01:05AM +0100, jose wrote:

> hi all,
>
> i've downloaded the latest debian amd64 iso cd from testing to install on my
> turion64 notebook, i've choosed the 2.6.12-1-amd64-k8 kernel and the installation went fine.
>
> at the first boot i have this error in endless loop :
>
> request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c
> request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c

I don't know what's causing this ...

> after some googling it seems that this kernel is not compiled with ELF support so it tries to load an external module.

... but that's definitely not it.  You most likely are using some
hideously old iso image with a long fixed bug in d-i.  I think this was
fixed in 2004 or something.

Try the netinst iso, it should work pretty well.  It downloads all the
latest and greatest, and usually working best -- versions of everything.

Cheers,