Re: iTunes in 32bit chroot?

On Jan 11, 2006, at 9:52 AM, Craig Hagerman wrote:

On 1/11/06, Matthias Julius <lists@julius-net.net> wrote:
Craig Hagerman <craighagerman@gmail.com> writes:

incredibly slow starting up (because I have so much music). I usually
use xmms, but for some reason when I create and save a playlist it
won't open in xmms afterwards anyway (wants to open in rhythm box!?)

That certainly can be adjusted in the file manager you are using.
Which one is that?  Or how do you open a playlist?

I'm using Gnome. When I double click on the playlist it opens
rhythmbox. If I right click and chose xmms it opens and does nothing.
If it open xmms and chose the playlist it does nothing. hmmm...
strange, no?

Anyway, this is not an optimal situation for me. I have spent ages
making playlists in iTunes (which I don't think can be exported to
xmms) and I would really like to find a way to use iTunes via
crossover office or wine. <crossed fingers>

This might not necessarily be ideal, but here's a tool to convert iTunes playlists to .m3u for xmms:

http://chimpen.com/itunes2m3u/convert.php

The web-interface will, of course, be cumbersome if you have as many playlists as you claim, but if you have access to a Windows machine, the author has created a native Windows app to do the same thing. The up front time spent converting playlists might be less of a hassle than getting iTunes to work in wine (not to mention the overhead associated with running your jukebox in an emulator - OK, Wine Is Not an Emulator, but there's still overhead associated with it).

Here's an AppleScript do it from iTunes:

http://homepage.mac.com/beryrinaldo/AudioTron/Export_Playlist_to_M3U/

The problem with the above solutions is that iTunes stores file location relative to the system root. This path will include / Volumes/<your NFS share>/... You would need to go through and change the paths.

Finally, iTunes allows you to export playlists as text or xml. m3u is a very simple (text) file format. An m3u file looks like this:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF: 185,Artist - Title
music/artist/album/title.mp3

The first line indicates that the file is an m3u playlist. The next two lines are a pair representing a song and are repeated for each song in the playlist. In the first line of the pair, 185 is the length of the song in seconds. Artist - Title is self-explanatory; usually this comes from the ID3 tag. The second line of the pair is the path to the file, either relative to the playlist file or the system root.

All of this information can easily be parsed out of the xml or text playlist files exported by iTunes. Be careful - if you export the iTunes playlists to xml, the track time is in milliseconds; you'll have to convert to seconds. If you export to text, the track times are already in seconds.

With this approach, you can simply export all your playlists to a directory and write a script to loop through the files in the directory converting each one.

Again, it's not the answer you asked for, but it might help.

- Chris