Re: Please don't laugh...

On (10/01/06 11:53), Graham Smith wrote:
> Ok, you can maybe have a bit of a chuckle. I have just done an upgrade and,
> because I wasn't paying attention, I installed a load of KDE 3.5 packages
> which has left we with a less than perfect KDE experience. I have managed to
> get most things working again but due to dependency issues I can get the menu
> bar to work.
>
> The way I see it I have three options
>
> 1)Attempt a complete downgrade of all the KDE stuff. I would rather not do
> this.
> 2)Add alioth to my sources list and cross my fingers that the packages in
> there will fulfil the dependencies (they mainly have version numbers along
> the lines of 3.5.0-01 where are packages in the official repositories are
> 3.5.0-03).
> 3)Wait it out and hope that the other 3.5 packages enter unstable soon. I
> really don't want to do this as I need to get on and work.
>
> Do I have any other options? What would you recommend? (Be more careful when
> upgrading would be my recommendation to myself).

If you use the interactive capability of aptitude it now has a pretty
nifty dependency resolution function.  I'm not sure why you're having a
problem with KDE3.5 because I recently upgraded to it using pure sid
sources and nothing seems unduly broken.  Having said that I don't use
it much and there may be some packages missing (I use Xfce).

I suggest you use aptitude to try to resolve any conflicts/dependencies
using sid sources.

YMMV

Regards

Clive