Re: Please don't laugh...

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:53:40 +0000
Graham Smith <graham@crazysquirrel.com> wrote:

> Ok, you can maybe have a bit of a chuckle. I have just done an
> upgrade and, because I wasn't paying attention, I installed a load of
> KDE 3.5 packages which has left we with a less than perfect KDE
> experience. I have managed to get most things working again but due
> to dependency issues I can get the menu bar to work.
>
> The way I see it I have three options
>
> 1)Attempt a complete downgrade of all the KDE stuff. I would rather
> not do this.
> 2)Add alioth to my sources list and cross my fingers that the
> packages in there will fulfil the dependencies (they mainly have
> version numbers along the lines of 3.5.0-01 where are packages in the
> official repositories are 3.5.0-03).
> 3)Wait it out and hope that the other 3.5 packages enter unstable
> soon. I really don't want to do this as I need to get on and work.
>
> Do I have any other options? What would you recommend? (Be more
> careful when upgrading would be my recommendation to myself).

One thing I always do is this:
Run apt-get upgrade with the -s option to see what it's gonna do.
Run dpkg-repack [list of packages to be replaced/removed] in a temp
directory.
Then run apt-get upgrade as normal.
If the upgrade goes south for any reason, just cd to the temp directory
and run dpkg -i * and you're back to the way you were.

It doesn't guard against every screwup, but it's saved my tail many
times #;-D

Regards,
Ozz.