Re: 3ware 9550 SATA RAID controller problems

OK following this thread and the good advice from the thread:
   Re: no updates to amd64 stable in last 3 weeks?

I have to ask what is udev and what does it do for me?

Where/how do I get 2.6.15 that I can build for sarge and can someone walk me (a noobie) through the steps of building and installing it on sarge in the "Debian way", so that is is similar to

Linux carto 2.6.8-11-em64t-p4-smp #1 SMP Mon Oct 3 00:07:51 CEST 2005 x86_64 GNU/Linux

but with the driver needed for the 3ware 9550 card. I say similar to the above because I have that working. While I don't mind wading through a bunch of questions in menuconfig, but concern is that I will not have a clue about what hardware is in my system or not.

I'm reading http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html but it would really make me feel better if someone with experience outlined the critical steps.

For example, I have the 3ware linux driver source but I think from other reports, the 2.6.15 already supports the 3ware 9550 card, so maybe just taking the .config from 2.6.8-11 and starting with that, ahh how do I start with that? Do I still need to go through menuconfig?

While while I waiting on a response I will wing it and try to do something is I can find 2.6.15 somewhere.

-Steve