Re: How to use 2.4 kernel on EMT64 machine

Thanks for your reply

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 06:51:28PM +0900, "Terry Li(?????????)" wrote:
I've got a Dell PowerEdge SC430 server with Celeron D CPU(EMT64) and
Intel ICH7 SATA interface.  I have installed sarge on this machine using
a customed install CD, which has kernel 2.6.12-1-amd64-generic.  It
works fine.  For some reasons, I need to use 2.4 kernel.  So I download
official 2.4.32 kernel and patch it by
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/libata/2.4.32-libata1.patch.bz2
in order to get ICH7 support.  I didn't find any problem on compiling.
But the machine stop booting on the startup message, "Booting the
kernel.".  Does anyone successfully run 2.4 kernel with ICH7 support on
EMT64 machine?

The 2.4 kernel predates amd64 pretty much entirely, and does not really
support it.  Since there is no new major development on 2.4 and hasn't
been in years (just bug fixes mainly), so puting full amd64 support in
2.4 will never happen.  I think redhat is the only ones that have made a
lot of amd64 patches for 2.4 for RHEL.  No one else bothers.  It just
isn't worth it.  If you absolutely need 2.4 kernel, run the system in
i386 mode since you obviously want legacy support rather than modern.