Re: Problems installing on AMD Athlon 64 system

On 12/17/05, Aaron Stromas <passogiau@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/17/05, lordSauron <lordsauronthegreat@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Please tell us your motherboard, hard drive, and where you downloaded
> > the disk/s from (URL only - I don't enjoy attachments that are
> > measured in megabytes).
>
> Right, the motherboard is ASUS A8N-SLI
>
> The images are from
> http://cdimage.org/cdimage/unofficial/sarge-amd64/iso-cd
> >
> > My first instinct though, is that you need to change the boot order so
> > that your first boot option is the CDROM.  If that's all okay, then
>
> no, the order is OK
>
> > you probably burnt the ISO image to CD, instead of burning the ISO
> > (the image sticks <file>.iso on the disk - the ISO will put what's
> > *in* the image on the disk - sorry, I know I'm re-inventing some
> > jargon here, but I'm not thinking correctly...  my mind is busy
> > buzzing for no apparent reason...)
>
> I believe that if I mounted such a disk I'd the the
> debian-31r0a-amd64-binary-1.iso, but i see all the files directories.

So that's okay...  Have you checked the motherboard documentation -
there are a few m-board BIOS controlled things that when enabled
prevent writing to the boot sector of the hard drive (a virus
protection thing).

Also, check your CD/DVD drive, since the I/O Error message could be
indicating that your CD/DVD drive isn't working.  I know I have a lot
of old drives that don't work.  Frys Electronics was having major
problems with drives made by "Emperex."  It really very well could be
a problem with your hardware, though during the install process it is
*very* difficult to diagnose whether it's software or hardware
difficulties, since both are very often at fault.