Re: [SPAM] Re: Debian clock multi boot (It was: Burn 100min. (878MB) cd-data with k3b)

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 13:42 -0900, Fielder George Dowding wrote:
> There may come a time when this is not the case for me, so Jo, could you
> elaborate on your comment, "As per the manual, you should configure
> Debian to compensate for the mess Windows makes of the hardware clock."
> That is, do you set the hardware clock to satisfy Windows and then set
> the timezone to an appropriate offset so Linux reads the correct time?
> It would seem to me this would give the wrong timestamp for email etc.
>
> Yes, I am looking for the manual reference, but I don't know what to
> look for as I write this.

As per the manual and Jo's comment further up this thread:

<quote>
If you were to set your Debian GNU/Linux computer to use local time,
without taking account of timezones, you would lose the benefit of
automatic DST changes. We do not recommend this! However, it may be
necessary to compromise by setting your hardware clock to local time
(see Multiboot with operating systems not understanding timezone,
Section 16.3). In this document, we assume that you have configured your
computer to use UTC.

To change the computer to use UTC after installation, edit the
file /etc/default/rcS, change the variable UTC to no. If you happened to
install your system to use local time, just change the variable to yes
to start using UTC. It is best to reboot after editing /etc/default/rcS
to get the changes effective.
</quote>

Windows *is* the problem here, it expects the hardware clock to be set
to local time and there is no way of changing this behaviour. Therefore
you must configure Linux so that it doesn't expect the hardware clock to
be set to UTC time.

HTH,

Adam.