chroot, autofs, and bind

Hi

We want to set up some amd-64 machines in an i686 environment.
To do so, we would like to follow the approach witch a
chrooted 32-bit environment on the 64-bit machines as discribed
in the amd-64 HowTo .Especially, one needs to have access to the
data in the /home-directory under the chroot also, which can be
solved using a bind-mount.
However, in our situation the /home directory is mounted from
a server using autofs. Bind-mounting an autofs-imported filesystem is not a great idea, since this leads inevitably
to kernel crashes (we are using kernel 2.6.12 and automount
4.1.4_beta2). At the moment, we have the following workaround:
mounting the autofs-exported /home not into the native 64-bit
environment, but into the 32-bit chroot, instead. The /home in the
64-bit environment is a symlink pointing to /home in the chroot.

Is this workaraound reliable? Are there better solutions?
And no, at the moment we have to use the autofs.

Many thanks in advance

Martin Schmid

Martin Schmid
schmidm@itp.unibe.ch