Re: Sarge NR_CPUS limit of 1 reached. Processor ignored.

On 12/14/05, Siju George <sgeorge.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/14/05, Jo Shields <jo.shields@comlab.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Siju George wrote:
> > >

> > Are you using Sarge for i386, or Sarge for AMD64? You can't interchange
> > packages - whilst i386 Sarge includes AMD64 kernels and a few 64-bit
> > compatability libraries, you can't install _amd64.deb files on it, and
> > apt/aptitude/synaptic will not allow you to use amd64 stuff.
> >
> > If you want to use 64-bit packages, use 64-bit Debian.
> >
> > --Jo Shields
> >

> Thankyou so much Helge and Jo.
>
> They are 64 bit :-)
>
> but I faced a problem removing mysql-server. Details below.
> How can you remove all installed packages with their configs ( Purge)
> and get back the original base system???
>
> I cannot do a re-install cause the server is not near by :-(
>
> Thankyou so much :-)
>
> kind regards
>
> Siju

Sorry, Forgot to give the details in previous mail :-(

------------------
# dpkg -P mysql-server-5.0
(Reading database ... 30784 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing mysql-server-5.0 ...
Stopping MySQL database server: mysqld.
Purging configuration files for mysql-server-5.0 ...
rm: cannot remove directory `/var/lib/mysql': Device or resource busy
dpkg: error processing mysql-server-5.0 (--purge):
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1
 mysql-server-5.0
oss40:/var/cache/apt/archives# man dpkg
Reformatting dpkg(8), please wait...
oss40:/var/cache/apt/archives# apt-get install mysql-server-5.0
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
mysql-server-5.0 is already the newest version.
oss40:/var/cache/apt/archives# apt-get remove --purge mysql-server-5.0
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  mysql-server-5.0*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 40.9MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 30626 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing mysql-server-5.0 ...
Purging configuration files for mysql-server-5.0 ...
rm: cannot remove directory `/var/lib/mysql': Device or resource busy
dpkg: error processing mysql-server-5.0 (--purge):
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1
 mysql-server-5.0

Thnakyou so much again :-)

kind regards

Siju