Re: Sarge NR_CPUS limit of 1 reached. Processor ignored.

On 12/14/05, Lubos Vrbka <lubos.vrbka@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Is there a way to install the kernel using apt-get??
>  > aptitude install kernel-image-2.6.8-11-amd64-k8-smp
>  >
> >> Also will I have to re-install the packages to support SMP?
> you don't have to reinstall any apps. single processor apps will run on
> SMP just fine, you can just run more of them (2 in your case) at the
> some time without slowing down...

Thankyou somuch lubos for the reply :-)

I installed some software from dotdeb following the advice on

http://dotdeb.org/news/dotdeb_now_available_for_amd64

hope it will automatically get packages for 64-bit amd and not 32 bit x86 ?
how do I check if the packages installed are for 64 bit?

is it that only 64-bit packages can be installed or 32-bit packages
can also slip in if the /etc/apt/source.list is not edited carefully?

Thankyou so much again for you help :-)

kind regards

Siju