Re: Sarge NR_CPUS limit of 1 reached. Processor ignored.

Siju George wrote:

On 12/14/05, Lubos Vrbka <lubos.vrbka@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there a way to install the kernel using apt-get??
> aptitude install kernel-image-2.6.8-11-amd64-k8-smp

Also will I have to re-install the packages to support SMP?
you don't have to reinstall any apps. single processor apps will run on
SMP just fine, you can just run more of them (2 in your case) at the
some time without slowing down...

Thankyou somuch lubos for the reply :-)

I installed some software from dotdeb following the advice on

http://dotdeb.org/news/dotdeb_now_available_for_amd64

hope it will automatically get packages for 64-bit amd and not 32 bit x86 ?
how do I check if the packages installed are for 64 bit?

is it that only 64-bit packages can be installed or 32-bit packages
can also slip in if the /etc/apt/source.list is not edited carefully?

Thankyou so much again for you help :-)

kind regards

Siju

Are you using Sarge for i386, or Sarge for AMD64? You can't interchange packages - whilst i386 Sarge includes AMD64 kernels and a few 64-bit compatability libraries, you can't install _amd64.deb files on it, and apt/aptitude/synaptic will not allow you to use amd64 stuff.

If you want to use 64-bit packages, use 64-bit Debian.

--Jo Shields