Re: Time drift in amd64

lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) writes:

> On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 10:24:30AM +0100, Martin Dickopp wrote:
>> Both of you are joking, I take it. But just in case someone is tempted
>> to take this suggestion serious: The sun position does *not* peak at
>> 12:00 "winter time" or 13:00 summer time. The deviation can be an hour
>> or more, and furthermore it changes every day.
>
> The sun does peak the same time every day,

No. Look up what the "equation of time" is. I find the Wikipedia article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equation_of_time quite good.

> The earth is pretty consistent in rotating at a steady speed.

True, but during one day, the earth has also moved on its orbit around
the sun. The earth's velocity on its orbit around the sun is not
constant, but dependent on the time of year.

> Otherwise sundials wouldn't work very well.

They don't, unless they take the equation of time into account.

Martin