Re: Confused: nvidia on AMD64???

> On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 18:46:07 +0100
> "Joost Kraaijeveld" <J.Kraaijeveld@Askesis.nl> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just put a NVidia GeForce FX 5200 into my machine (my Matrox 550 will not work properly with Xinerama after the update to x.org). I followed several howto's (even from the people that wrote it worked, e.g. Stefan Salewski's "NVidia driver successfully installed!" and his link http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html) but I cannot apt-get the nvidia-kernel-source from any of the mentioned repositories.
> >
> > Is it possible to compile the module on a AMD64 system? Where can I apt-get the packages mentioned in howto above for  AMD64?

Unless you really play 3D games (which I guess you don't given it's a
5200!) why do you even bother with those binary drivers? My 6600
(cheapest no-fan pci-e card I could find without 'turbo-cache' and other
probably-windows-only-stuff) works very good in x.org and the
framebuffer console, with mplayer, ogle, xine etc. all working very
nicely. And having the framebuffer console working great at the same
time is a very big bonus for me - in fact, I couldn't live without it.

3D speed is not important at all - I never use it.

HTH,
Jurriaan
--
Beam me up, Scotty, but leave the others here.
Debian (Unstable) GNU/Linux 2.6.15-rc5-mm1 2x4805 bogomips 0.77