Re: X86_64 on Shuttle-XPC ST20G5

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 03:23:40PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 03:49:52PM +0100, Thomas Drillich wrote:
> > debian runs on that machine but suboptimal, here are some notes I send
> > to the manufacturer support:
> >

> > ATI XPress 200 graphics:
> >   Currently the usage of X is only possible with the standard vesa
> >   module of the Xorg 6.8.2 server. If I use the ati fglrx driver the
> >   monitor flickers on every redraw, a multiple horizontal movement
> >   of the contents on the Monitor on every update of contents inside a
> >   window.
>
> It's an ati, that is how support for ati usually is in my experience.
> Eventually they get it to work.
>
> > Hardware:
> >   ST20G5 BIOS:  update on ft20s016
> >   sata-hdd:  Maxtor 6L200MD
> >   sata-dvd:  Plextor Px-716sa (not useable)
> >   CPU:  AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 dual core Processor 3800+ stepping 02
> >   RAM:  2Gbyte -- 2x 1024MB Infineon DDR400 CL3
> >   Kbd:  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000
> >   Mouse:  Logitech MouseMan Wheel at USB (not useable)
> >   Monitor: Philips 180P2 at DVI port
> >   Chipset: ULI 1573
> >
> > Software:
> >   Linux 2.6.14
> >   Debian Etch
> >   Xorg server 6.8.2
> >
> > may you have Ideas to get rid of these problems
>
> Never buy anything with ATI chips on it.  Especially to run linux.
> Quite seriously.  I won't.  :)

That's just too funny.
This is pure rationalizing of all the hassles you've had to go through
to get nvidia video cards working.  Christ, you have to get a kernel
module built and installed every time you make yourself a new kernel,
what a PITA.  I've got an ATI X300SE PCIe on my system, came right up
with X when I installed etch, it works fast and furious, I didn't have
to do anything except answer a couple of questions from debconf (or
whatever) when it was installing.  All the bending and twisting I've
read on this list to get nvidia video cards working make me laugh when
I hear ignorant comments like this.  I've got a laptop with an nvidia
controller, and I have to go throught the nvidia pain all the time.
With this version of the driver, fonts are funky, with that version of
the driver, you can't use kernel version xxx ... it's never ending.

As for their chipset chips, I've no experience so I won't say anything.
Perhaps they suck ~:^)  My amd64 system (Tyan K8WE) is fabulous with the
nforce4 chipset, I must say.

To get 3d working, it's a bit of work regardless of which you choose.
For for fast and easy as pie 2d, ATI just works.

Cheers,