Re: X86_64 on Shuttle-XPC ST20G5

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 03:49:52PM +0100, Thomas Drillich wrote:
> debian runs on that machine but suboptimal, here are some notes I send
> to the manufacturer support:
>
> sata support:  sata_uli
>   If the raid switch is turned off in the bios, the linux kernel module
>   sata_uli detects the hard disc only after a second load. Only if the
>   bios switch for raid is turned on its possible to boot from sata
>   drive. In both modes it's not possible to detect my Plextor PX-716SA
>   sata dvd-writer.

SATA ATAPI support is not yet completed in linux.  Unless you edit a
kernel header file and recompile with experimental incomplete SATA ATAPI
in libata or you go get some not yet finished patches to apply, you
can't use SATA ATAPI devices in linux yet.  Well unless my info is out
of date.

>   The company ULI offers sata module for older kernels (current is
>    2.6.14) on their website, but on the need to boot from sata drive the
>   module must be included in the kernel  and cannot be loaded
>   afterwards.

Certainly sounds odd.  Either the driver isn't initializing the chip
correctly, or the bios sets it up wrong.  Weird.  I have only heard of
uli sata chips on ati chipset boards, which have plenty of other
problems, enough for me to steer way clear of those.

> usb:
>   My Logitech mouse at the usb port flickers, the drivers where
>   constantly loded and and unloaded. At first it seems like a break
>   inside the mouse cable, but I could elimate that, by using that mouse
>   at another computer. Therefore it must be a bug in the usb driver,
>   take a look at the syslog abstract below to see how that makes the use
>    of a mouse at that port impossible.

Strange.  Never had a problem with my usb logitech mice on any machine.
Then again, I have never had a machine with ati/uli chips on it.

> sound:
>   With snd-hda-intel module for the Realtech ALC 880 sound component of
>   the ST20G5,  only the Line out exit at the back is usable. Headphones
>   and Microphone ports are unusable.

Might be a limitation in the driver, wrong alsamixer settings, or a bug.

> acpi:
>   The kernel could only start with acpi and apic off, otherwise the
>   kernel stops at boot.
>     Kernel command line: root=/dev/sda2 bootkbd=qwertz/de acpi=off
>                                              noapic ro console=tty0

Sounds like acpi bios bugs, although the kernel code is still going
through many changes in that area so who knows.

> ATI XPress 200 graphics:
>   Currently the usage of X is only possible with the standard vesa
>   module of the Xorg 6.8.2 server. If I use the ati fglrx driver the
>   monitor flickers on every redraw, a multiple horizontal movement
>   of the contents on the Monitor on every update of contents inside a
>   window.

It's an ati, that is how support for ati usually is in my experience.
Eventually they get it to work.

> Hardware:
>   ST20G5 BIOS:  update on ft20s016
>   sata-hdd:  Maxtor 6L200MD
>   sata-dvd:  Plextor Px-716sa (not useable)
>   CPU:  AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 dual core Processor 3800+ stepping 02
>   RAM:  2Gbyte -- 2x 1024MB Infineon DDR400 CL3
>   Kbd:  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000
>   Mouse:  Logitech MouseMan Wheel at USB (not useable)
>   Monitor: Philips 180P2 at DVI port
>   Chipset: ULI 1573
>
> Software:
>   Linux 2.6.14
>   Debian Etch
>   Xorg server 6.8.2
>
> may you have Ideas to get rid of these problems

Never buy anything with ATI chips on it.  Especially to run linux.
Quite seriously.  I won't.  :)