Re: Parallel printing stopped working

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 03:34:03PM +0100, Charles de Miramon wrote:
> Hello,
>  I use an old LaserJet HP 4L plugged on the parallel port that was
> functioning perfectly.
>
> If I upgrade the kernel above 2.6.11 (I'm using the debian package
> linux-image amd64-k8), printing does not work anymore.
>
> A command issued as root like echo -en "\rTest\r\f" >/dev/lp0 makes the
> printer led blinkle but the page is not printed, pushing the printer button
> to force a page feed gives a page with garble printed.
>
> I have a Asus A8N-SLI motherboard and I have not yet tried to fiddle with
> the bios parameters for the parallel port. Something must have changed in
> recent versions of the the parport_pc module but I have no clue (and Google
> either) what it is.
>
> Downgrading to 2.6.11 solves the problem.
>
> tombouctou:/var/log# uname -a
> Linux tombouctou 2.6.12-1-amd64-k8 #1 Wed Sep 28 02:31:26 CEST 2005 x86_64
> GNU/Linux
>
> tombouctou:/var/log# dmesg | grep parport
> pnp: the driver 'parport_pc' has been registered
> pnp: match found with the PnP device '00:08' and the driver 'parport_pc'
> parport: PnPBIOS parport detected.
> parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7, dma 3
> [PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,ECP,DMA]
> parport0: Legacy device
> lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).

I think something changed recently where switching the parallel mode in
the bios can make it work again.  I don't remember which setting is
recommended.  I always left mine on ecp+epp mode, but then again I
hardly ever use a parallel port.  Try the different parallel port
settings in the bios and see if one of them helps.  I think 2.6.12 was
when I remember seeing people start complaining about parallel port
problems.