HP usb printing segfaults (Was: Parallel printing stopped working)

On 16/11/2005 Andrei Mikhailovsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've had a very similar issue with Parallel printer Samsung ML-4500.
> Sending the data to the printer activated the printer for about 10
> seconds with light blinking. Nothing came out in the end. I've resolved
> this issue by changing the parallel mode in the bios either to ECP or
> EPP, I don't remember now and don't want to reboot my PC to find out.
> Try changing the bios settings and see if it will work.

i've the same issue with my HP Laserjet 1010 over USB. some software,
like abiword, openoffice or gimp print without problems.
others, like comandline lpr, firefox and everything that uses lpr,
activate the printer for one second with light blinking, but don't
produce any printout.
if i use the commandline lpr directly, i get a segfault error:
hpijs[8797]: segfault at 00000001005a105b rip 000000000042e847 rsp \
	00007fffffd3f4c0 error 4

does anybody have similar problems?

 jonas