Re: How to install nvidia driver

On Tuesday 15 November 2005 06:35, Dean Hamstead wrote:
> here here
>
> is  [mandatory full disclosure]  likely to happen though?
>
> Dean

Just maybe, but we will have to fight for it.

As I've already suggested, it's a common-law property right; but right now,
too few people care about it for anybody to be able to enforce it  {UK,
Aussie and US legal systems all work on a 'might makes right' basis}.  The
typical response I've had when trying to explain how Open Source works is
"Well, it's a fantastic idea, politically; but I'm not a programmer, so what
good is the source code to *me*?"  Or, worse, "But it's easy enough to get
Windows and Office without paying for them, doesn't that mean Microsoft still
lose out?"

Something needs to happen to -make- people care about their rights.

The Sony rootkit case, when it comes to court, will present a great
opportunity to raise awareness of how consumers' rights are being cynically
trampled upon by manufacturers who care only about making money and not about
the people who helped them make it in the first place.

The next release of Microsoft Office, with the usual proprietary file format
lockdown shenanigans, will present another excel-lent opportunity  {"Why
can't I open this spreadsheet that my friend sent me?"}.

It's my bold assertion that "cheap" graphics cards start out fundamentally
identical to their high-end brethren, but selected features are disabled by
modifying the firmware and driver software.  {It's conceivable that even the
amount of heat generated by the card would be controllable through software
alone: CMOS logic gates only produce heat when they change state, and if
fewer gates are changing state and/or they are doing so less often, then less
heat will be generated; hence a simple lump of metal will do the job of
cooling a cheap card, where an expensive one with the same processor might
need a fan.}  It would be evident from studying the "secrets" which an owner
of such a card is rightfully "in" on, how this is being done; manufacturers
are hiding behind the dubious legal fiction of "intellectual property" to
conceal their duplicity.

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk