Re: crontab use in chroot 32-bit environment ?

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 01:49:41PM -0500, James D. Freels wrote:
> More specifically, here is my problem:
>
> Under 32-bit chroot environment, I issue the command to backup my
> system(s) using amanda:
>
> /usr/bin/amdump new
>
> and all works as expected.
>
> Under the 64-bit environment, I issue the following command
>
> dchroot -c ia32 /usr/bin/amdump new
>
> However, the command fails and the system hangs and behaves in exactly
> the same manner that it would fail as if the command were run in 64-bit
> native mode.  Note, I have submitted a bug report to this effect under
> the amanda-server package.  What I am trying to do, in effect, is a work
> around to this bug.
>
> What I would like to do is set this up so that I do not have to run
> amdump interactively in order to work, i.e. crontab from the 64-bit
> environment.
>
> I suspect that amdump must be subsequently calling something from the
> 64-bit; i.e., by entering dchroot, do all subsequent calls to
> executables remain in the chroot environment ?

Or maybe it needs something set in the environment like path or
something, which cron doesn't do, but chrooting to a shell would do.

Most cron scripts that fail to work, but work when you run them manually
are missing the PATH or occationally some other environment setting.