crontab use in chroot 32-bit environment ?

I set up a crontab for user backup (to run amanda) in the chroot 32-bit environment.  It does not seem to run.  Is it a requirement to run crontab from the 64-bit home environment and then include the 32-bit  instructions within that crontab  (from root) ?  There are some bugs in the ananda-server package that require it to run in 32-bit mode.  I am getting ready to submit a bug report about this.
--
James D. Freels, Ph.D.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory