Re: Networking not working

On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 12:02:22AM -0600, Thomas F. O'Connell wrote:
> On Nov 4, 2005, at 9:04 PM, lordSauron wrote:
> >Yes, it seemed to me that most of the NICs aren't supported yet.  I
> >had to forsake my mboard integrated Realtek Gigabit Ethernet for a old
> >3Com 100/10 PCI card until kernel -12 debuted, in which support was
> >added.  I don't know who to contact to request the addding of your
> >particular card, but when you do, ensure to send him/her/it (you never
> >know...) every single last detail about the card, all the way down to
> >the S/N, so that there's no confusion about which driver they're
> >working with.
> >
> >Hope you find a solution!
>
> Is there any way to track device driver support?

What devices do you have?

I haven't found the situation to be as bad as lordSauron says.

The Realtek 8169 on an AthlonXP board I have has worked since early 2.6.x
with the r8169 driver.

The Gigabyte Athlon64 board has on-board NICs supported using the
sk98lin and forcedeth drivers. I started with 2.6.8 and those were
supported fine.

Hamish