Re: Mirror list

On 10/31/05, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 06:10:21PM -0700, mike wrote:
> > it might be off topic for this list, but i think it may be
> > advantageous to think about using some sort of p2p type mechanism in
> > the future.
> >
> > imagine an infinite supply of "mirrors" to grab the files from,
> > instead of centrally-hosted sites with what seems to be regular
> > turnover.

Well, if it's infinite, then EVERYONE is gonna need a bigger hard
drive (I for one wouldn't mind if they sent me a nice happy 500gig
SATA150 - I'd be more than happy to dedicate 300 gigs of that to a
mirror, but as we all know, I'm in no place to host so much as a
paperclip, much less a debian mirror!)

> > obviously would still need to have some sort of central servers with
> > the ports/packages list to verify the md5sum's of the files to ensure
> > integrity... could leverage existing protocols like bittorrent too.
>
> Someone suggested that in the past.  As far as I recall here are some of
> the problems that were pointed out:
>
> You would need a .torrent per deb file
> Many files are small while bittorrent is best for larger files that can
> be divided into blocks for parallel transfers.
> Someone has to generate all these torrent files and then you have to
> mirror those around so apt-get can get the torrent to then connect to a
> tracker to then start downloading the deb.  Often for smaller deb files
> the actual download from http would have been faster.
>
> bittorrent makes sense for cd images (although even there the jigdo
> system makes more sense since you can update a 3.1r0 cd image to a 3.1r1
> cd image by only downloading the actual changes, while bittorrent would
> find most of the image had changed and do nothing useful with the old
> data).
>
> Besides the current set of mirrors seem pretty good to me.  I often get
> 560KB/s on my 5Mbit link from the mirror I use.  http works great for my
> needs.

I hate you....  not really, I just hate that you get such fast
downloads... y'know, that evious sorta hate?

--
=== GCB v3.1 ===