Re: Quake 4

Zachary Rizer wrote:
> It's not necessary. OSS is the default.  While we're
> on the subject of sound...I occassionally get sound
> stuttering issues on my machine with both Q4 and D3.
> It's entirely intermittent, and some days are worse
> than others, but when it does it, I quit the game and
> restart it.  If it doesn't do it during the intro id
> movie, it won't do it for the duration of the session.
>
> Anyone else seen this behavior?  And, are you guys
> using snd-ioctl32?

So far so good; I haven't had any sound issues in quake4 that I can
tell. I vaguely remember sound cutting out once in a while in doom3, but
I think that problem went away on its own before I got around to trying
to fix it.

snd-ioctl32 disappeared from the Linux kernel a while ago, as far as I
can tell. At some point I noticed it was gone, but since everything
still worked I didn't investigate further. What kernel version are you
running and what sound card do you have? I'm on 2.6.13 and I have an sblive.

-Corey