Re: installing Oracle on Debian AMD64

On 10/25/05, Adam Skutt <askutt@wnec.edu> wrote:
> More than anything, it's builtin JRE is 32-bits, and it's very hard to
> get it to use anything else.

Yep, that is probably the reason. If you can make a standard 32bit JRE
work, then installing Oracle seems quite possible.

> Note in all cases, a chroot may make things somewhat harder, as you
> still need a 32-bit JRE and a 64-bit toolchain to do 64-bit Oracle

Concerning the tool chain: I noticed (on Solaris, both 32 and 64bit)
that you actually only need a few libraries and a few support files to
compile and run C applications using the OCI. In fact, this works a
lot better for me than following the slightly bizarre way recommended
by Oracle to compile C applications.

So if the toolchain is your only problem, I would not worry too much
about that. Copying the client libraries over to a 64bit system should
not be difficult. (That is assuming you want a 64bit client
application in the first place.)

Thomas