Re: installing Oracle on Debian AMD64

Hi,

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
So that is 'Why no mysql', how about 'why no postgresql' part of the
original question?

Well, I am afraid I'm not quite postgresql-literate, and I live by the (perhaps false) assumption that PostgreSQL and MySQL are more or less the same : open source database projects, except PostgreSQL are supposed to be "faster" in reading and "slower" in writing than MySQL, and that they roughly have the same capabilities..

Other than live replication and failover and such, I can't think of
anything that I know oracle can do that postgresql can't.  Of course I
haven't really used oracle so I imagine there is something (besides cost
you a lot of cash).

Well, of course it doesn't mean anything to use Oracle in a small environment, as I said it only becomes good when you have a single DB that is being used by several clients and you need data consistency without having to modify all the clients when there's a structural change (for instance, say you add a table that needs updated when you do whatever action on the other tables -- Oracle allows you to code an event associated to that action - ie a procedure...). That's merely a scenario, of course. If you just need the standard functionalities of DB and don't mind having your client software ensuring data consistency, mysql and i guess postgresql perform fine and will even be faster than Oracle for very simple tasks. Merely a question of raw processing power.
--
Jean-Christophe Montigny
Responsable Commission Web, Association Planètes
Responsable serveurs assoces.com, Association Planètes
Etudiant de deuxième année à Grenoble Ecole de Management
Majeure Conseil en Organisation des Systèmes d'Information
begin:vcard
fn:Jean-Christophe Montigny
n:Montigny;Jean-Christophe
org;quoted-printable:Association Pl@n=C3=A8tes
adr;quoted-printable:;;12, rue Pierre S=C3=A9mard;Grenoble;FR;38000;France
email;internet:jcm@assoces.com
title:Responsable Com Web
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://planetes.assoces.com/