Re: installing Oracle on Debian AMD64

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 08:16:08PM +0200, Jean-Christophe Montigny wrote:
> Adam Stiles wrote:
> >The proper way to fix it would be to recompile the whole package from
> >source so it works with your existing installation.  But that probably is
> >not an option for you  ;)
> >
> >So let's ask a different question instead.
> >
> >What do you need Oracle for that you can't do using PostgreSQL or MySQL?
> >

> When it comes to larger systems, eg not a webserver hosting phpbb2 stuff
> or a small online store, databases that are to be accessible by
> different kinds of client, and that processes data (eg does more than
> select / update / delete and count() stuff -- i'm speaking of actual
> code), that can do series of processing on events (when inserting /
> updating tables for instance) ... eg without expecting the client to do
> that... eg REALLY caring about data consistence... You need something
> with more punch that MySQL ;) Mind you too, MySQL is not SQL standard -
> or IS standard, but is matching old standards then. Well, MySQL is great
> for simple stuff - web apps that can run on their own, and that requires
> limited database functionality. Bigger is something else...
>
> Well, I'm not the one who is gonna use oracle in the discussion so i'm
> perhaps out of context. Perhaps he merely wants it for educational
> purposes :)
>
> Trust me, Oracle can do some stuff in a single shot that would require
> to write a script in whatever language (perl, php...) to do the same
> thing using a mysql database.

So that is 'Why no mysql', how about 'why no postgresql' part of the
original question?

Other than live replication and failover and such, I can't think of
anything that I know oracle can do that postgresql can't.  Of course I
haven't really used oracle so I imagine there is something (besides cost
you a lot of cash).