Re: Proprietary kernel module with Debian i386 system and AMD64 kernel

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 09:50:29AM +0200, J?r?me Warnier wrote:
> On one of my systems, I'm using Debian for i386, and I'm thinking about
> going to kernel package "kernel-image-2.6.8-11-amd64-k8".
> The main reason I'm using Debian for i386 is that I need a proprietary
> kernel module.
> This kernel module is available for both x86 and AMD64, so I wonder
> which one I should use with the above-mentioned kernel.

The kernel is amd64 just as uname -m shows x86_64.  You need the amd64
module.

Runing i386 with and amd64 kernel does not make sense if the only reason
is to allow using a proprietary kernel module.  In that case you should
be runing a 32bit kernel (like i686 or k7).  With the amd64-k8 kernel
you have the same kernel requirements as the pure64 system would since
you are running the same type of kernel.