Re: kdelibs4!

On Thursday 20 October 2005 20:02, lordSauron wrote:
> The only thing with gentoo is that it's really hard to install...
> though otherwise I'm convinced it's better than debian for desktop
> users.

Installing Gentoo from Stage One  {manually bootstrapping a build environment,
downloading and compiling kernel and minimal userland package sources,
booting the kernel you just compiled, then downloading and compiling the rest
of your userland utilities, GUI and so on}  isn't actually *that* hard, IF
you have printed a copy of the documentation in advance  {and IF your ADSL
router has a simple ethernet connection}.  It is certainly an educational
experience for anyone interested in what goes on under the bonnet.

The only real advantage I can see for Gentoo over Debian is that all your
packages are compiled locally from source by default  {and that is perhaps
not always an advantage}.  The package repositories are comparable in size
and scope, and both distributions have bleeding-edge and rock-steady
variants.  It seems to me that the difference largely boils down to "apt-get"
vs "emerge".

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk