Advice in switching from Mandriva 64 to Debian 64

Hi,

I am planning to switch to Debian from Mandriva. I have an AMD64 and I would like to exploit the 64 bits for those programs that really need it (video editing/transcoding, photo editing), and still run Firefox with Flash, OpenOffice, and Wine (CodeWeavers and Cedega).

The issue is that the 32 bit applications need to be run by the rest of the family, and I fear a chroot environment would be too complex for them (they just want to click on an icon and it must work).

In the Howto, there appear to be two possibilities, a "quick start" and a chroot environment. Are they really different, I mean with the "quick start" do I just need to install the ia32-libs package to get my above 32 bit apps running?

Any advice is welcome!

JJJ