Re: [OT?] LVM questions - I have seriously screwed my system

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 03:54:12PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Mounting totaly ignores the partition type anyway. So that did
> nothing. But running pvcreate will have overwritten some data.

Well if pvcreate was run, and that is all, perhaps looking at the lvm
backup data in /etc can tell what the UUID used to be and pvcreate might
allow you to tell it what uuid you want used on that device.  Then lvm
should recognize it again.  pvcreate doesn't overwrite the data area of
a pv, just the block containing the size and uuid and such (and the size
shouldn't have changed).  Unless I am missing something in my
understanding of LVM that is.  If it was not previously an lvm device,
then year whatever was there is not hurt badly.