Re: [OT?] LVM questions - I have seriously screwed my system

Craig Hagerman <craighagerman@gmail.com> writes:

> WARNING: Re-reading the partition table failed with error 16: Device
> or resource busy.
> The kernel still uses the old table.
> The new table will be used at the next reboot.
> Syncing disks.

This just means what is says.  The disk is in use and the kernel can
not reread the partition table.  You have to reboot to do that.

> So, am I totally screwed or can I recover the data and save
> everything? The situation before, was that the data was mirrored on
> both sda and sdb (sdb mounted as LVM at /mnt/media). But I now see
> that I inadvertantly changed the partition type of sdb (when I
> intended sda). So I assume that is a lost cause. (?)
>
> Is there anything I can do now to recover?

Actually I don't think there is anything you need to recover from.
You have set the partition type of sdb1 to LVM and that is what it
should be.  That is assuming that you used sdb1 as PV and not sdb.

Now you just need to do the same for sda2 and you should be fine.
Reboot after that.

Debian will activate the VG but it will not mount the LVs automatically.
You still have to add them to /etc/fstab.

Matthias