Re: [OT?] LVM questions - I have seriously screwed my system

On 10/20/05, Matthias Julius <lists@julius-net.net> wrote:

> This just means what is says.  The disk is in use and the kernel can
> not reread the partition table.  You have to reboot to do that.

Unfortunately I did reboot before I noticed the typo. After the reboot
neither disc can be seen.

> Actually I don't think there is anything you need to recover from.
> You have set the partition type of sdb1 to LVM and that is what it
> should be.  That is assuming that you used sdb1 as PV and not sdb.

But sdb1 had ALREADY been set up. Actually I had formatted it with
ext3, then followed the howto (pvcreate, vgcreate, lvcreate, mount) to
set up LVM and then copied all my old data over. So I then set the
partition type to LVM on a disc that already was set up with a VG, LV.

...now vgdisplay gives me

$ vgdisplay
  Couldn't find device with uuid 'ZHl4Ak-mGS4-wFlF-4neF-G1Ed-GxWB-C4Smj6'.
  Couldn't find all physical volumes for volume group media_vg.
  Couldn't find device with uuid 'ZHl4Ak-mGS4-wFlF-4neF-G1Ed-GxWB-C4Smj6'.
  Couldn't find all physical volumes for volume group media_vg.
  Volume group "media_vg" doesn't exist

...but pvdisplay gives me encouraging news. I just don't know what to
do with this information to try to recover.

$ pvdisplay
  Couldn't find device with uuid 'ZHl4Ak-mGS4-wFlF-4neF-G1Ed-GxWB-C4Smj6'.
  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sdb1
  VG Name               media_vg
  PV Size               233.75 GB / not usable 0
  Allocatable           yes
  PE Size (KByte)       4096
  Total PE              59841
  Free PE               193
  Allocated PE          59648
  PV UUID               rlnV4y-B4eJ-Pyc0-RLJm-2Zbv-t04C-dxzU1A

  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               unknown device
  VG Name               media_vg
  PV Size               186.30 GB / not usable 0
  Allocatable           yes
  PE Size (KByte)       4096
  Total PE              47694
  Free PE               47694
  Allocated PE          0
  PV UUID               ZHl4Ak-mGS4-wFlF-4neF-G1Ed-GxWB-C4Smj6