Re: Double problem with KDM

On Wednesday 19 October 2005 09:01, Emmanuel Guiton wrote:
> Hi!
>
> After I installed Debian, I tried to use kdm instead of gdm. I ran into
> the 2 following problems
> - When the kdm login screen appears, I do not have any keyboard input. I
> cannot enter neither my login nor my password. If I try to restart the X
> session, nothing changes. If I try console login, I can log in without
> any problem. Then, I can start kdm as root and when the login window
> appears I can normally enter my username and password.
> - At this point appears the second problem: after validating my username
> and password, the kdm window disappears... and appears again. I can
> never get the desktop running.
> On the other hand, such troubles do not happen at all with gdm.
>
> Does anyone have already seen these symptoms? (Is it serious, doc?)
>
> Thanks for any help,
>  - Emmanuel

Don't know if this is related; but I recently changed my 32-bit machine
running Etch from XFree86 to Xorg and there was an error in the generated
xorg.conf, an instance of
Driver  "Keyboard"
that should have read
Driver  "keyboard"
This was keeping X from starting up altogether, and it cost me a night's sleep
as I faffed around trying to get a working xorg.conf together.  OTOH, now I
have done it, it rocks bells.

If it makes any difference, I have been using the open source "nv" graphics
card drivers all along on both my 32 and 64 bit machines.

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk