Double problem with KDM

Hi!

After I installed Debian, I tried to use kdm instead of gdm. I ran into the 2 following problems - When the kdm login screen appears, I do not have any keyboard input. I cannot enter neither my login nor my password. If I try to restart the X session, nothing changes. If I try console login, I can log in without any problem. Then, I can start kdm as root and when the login window appears I can normally enter my username and password. - At this point appears the second problem: after validating my username and password, the kdm window disappears... and appears again. I can never get the desktop running.
On the other hand, such troubles do not happen at all with gdm.

Does anyone have already seen these symptoms? (Is it serious, doc?)

Thanks for any help,
- Emmanuel