Re: Compiling a kernel module. gcc-3.3 vs. gcc-3.4

Jamie Rollins <jrollins@phys.columbia.edu> writes:

> Why should he not change the link?  Changing the link is what I did.  Why should
> the link point to one version of gcc or another?  If anything, I would assume
> that you would want to point it to the version that corrseponds to the version
> that the kernel was compiled against, if for no other reason that to avoid this
> very issue.

gcc is the default debian gcc. It is the one having the right ABI that
all libraries on the system follow (except special cases). If you
change the link from gcc-3.3 to gcc-3.4 you are switching from the 3.3
to the 3.4 C ABI. In the case of m68k and hppa that is fatal as they
do have real incompatibilities. On other archs it is supposed to work.

The other reason is that programm sources expect the gcc to be
gcc-3.3. A bunch of sources in sarge won't compile with gcc-3.4. If
you ever want to compile something localy you might find yourself
unable to do so and by that time you probably forgot that you messed
up the gcc link and will report a false FTBFS bug report.

MfG
        Goswin